If you ask me why rear tine tiller has become so popular in the small and medium-sized and large garden, it’s easy to see. The concept underlying rear tine tiller is highly efficient and adequate to ground. It is easy to operate, and you can effortlessly plug the thing in, pull or push the turn and start tilling.
You will find the market flooded with different types of rear tine tiller. So, choosing the right one for your favorite yard is actually not an easy task. Give this article a thorough read to learn about best rear tine tillers.
Top 5 Best Rear Tine Tillers
Breathe your worry out, as I have listed here 5 best rear tillers and includes the pros and cons of each product. I also added information about every features it had with the requirement that meets your needs. Each of the products is known for its own durability, functionality and easy operation.
So, without further ado, read out the content.
YARDMAX YT4565 is a powerful tool yet compact and high-ending garden cultivators, known for their high performance. The machine gets its energy from a powerful 79.77cc YARDMAX engine that delivers great 180-revolution per minute rotational speed.
An amazing feature is, it includes 7″ – 11″ options to adjust depth that you’ll love certainly. It also delivers a tilling width of 11″ 16″ or 21 for intense that will offer you many choices for shallow or deep tilling. This machine is a genuine drag stake functioned fine tiller. So, you will experience a flawless groundbreaking strength with it.
Know that, you can operate this amazing machine easily by using an adjustable-height handlebar. It will help you to stand and steer from either side of the tiller. No more tired of pulling and wrestling if you have this tiller in your garden as it is reputed for its single pull starting.
It is an outstanding choice for almost any job, from light tilling to gardening. It can be a fantastic addition to your yard appliances. To improve performance, the machine comes with removable outer tines to ensure rapid ground coverage and contribute pulling even in tighter places. All these features with a durable body result in a powerful ahead movement and effortless control.
- It comes with a powerful 79.77cc YARDMAX engine that provides 180-revolution per minute rotational speed.
- For more efficient and smooth tilling, it can cover wide ground.
- Easy to operate and provides great balance over the machine.
- Includes safety shields for safe operation while tilling.
- The machine is designed with a counterweight on wheels for more balance and handling.
- The front edges of the machine can harm the operator.
The CRT900 Husqvarna tiller is constructed with a strong Briggs & Stratton engine. It carries not only 9 foot-pounds of torque but also 3200 rpm rotational speed along with chain/gear type of transmission. It features 14-inch deep tines with counter-rotation to provide soil-pulverizing energy no matter what type of soil you need to break.
Moreover, front counterweight over the tires makes sure that this rear tine tiller stays balanced and stable. To improve balance, it also arranges an adjust drag bar that is easy to adjust. This tiller has forward, backward and reverse capability for efficient tilling, while the design allows for effortless transport.
It also includes an adjustable handlebar for utilizing flexibility when tilling. This easy start device is very affordable considering its features. In this tool, you are getting 7-inch depth adjustments that will provide flexibility for both shallow or deep tilling.
With a 14-inch working width and a 6-inch working depth, this garden cultivator is a smart choice for small and medium gardens. The amazing depth flexibility on this tiller with a vital motor will leave most customers satisfied.
- It comes with a powerful Briggs & Stratton engine.
- The tool includes a 14-inch width and a 6-inch operating depth.
- It holds 9 foot-pounds of torque with 3200 rpm rotational speed and chain type of transmission.
- To enhance balance, it also arranges an adjust drag bar that is easy to adjust.
- Adjustable depth of 7 inches will allow you to control tilling speed.
- Front counterweight over the tires ensures that this rear tine tiller keeps up balanced.
- These tillers are slightly expensive but worth the money.
The Troy-Bilt Pro-Line CRT Tiller brought incredible power with 160cc Honda GC160 engine which provides durability and long-lasting service. A 16-inch tilling width offers good ground coverage for relatively quick cultivation. This tilling width combined with the 6-inch adjustable tilling depth and 10-inch bolo tines can break tough soils effortlessly. This tool ensures that it will chew up stony soil easily and fly through difficult underground roots.
The Troy-Bilt Pro-Line Tiller comes with a built-in recoil that allows the gardeners to start the engine smoothly in one pull. This tiller enhanced strength and outstanding capabilities by its 13 x 5-inch AG tires. Unlike other counter-rotating tillers, this model also has a single forward and reverse rotation. The forward rotation cultivates the surface and the reverse works for preparing ground finely and deeply.
This gas-powered tiller is designed with cast-iron transmission and a bronze gear drive. The 17-inch safety shields will help you to get adequate protection from the rotating tines during operation. This compact and lightweight tool with a powerful motor is ideal for both professional and home gardeners.
- Powered by 160cc Honda GC160 engine.
- This rear tiller tine is provided with single forward and reverses rotation.
- A 16-inch tilling width offers good ground coverage for quick cultivation.
- Compact yet powerful tiller and easy to use.
- Counter-rotating tines ensure greater control and easy use
- The 17-inch shields will assist you to get adequate safety.
- Can drive in any rough ground and chew up solid soil.
- A 13 x 5-inch AG tires offer greater maneuverability.
- No wheel locking clips includes. So, it is difficult to move while the engine is off.
A tine tiller that is worth calling best without any further discussion is Champion tine tiller. This heavy iron-casted machine combines functionality and performance to deliver a service beyond expectations.
This versatile tool comes with a 19-inch tilling width and an 8-inch tilling depth which makes the tool perfect for both homeowners and professionals. A 13-inch self- propelled system for driving this tiller delivers effortless control over tilling.
The tool is able to break through the toughest soils effortlessly by its dependable and four durable 13.8-inch hardened Steel tines. This tiller is a real dual rotation tilling tool that adds an outstanding characteristic to it. So, this tiller can easily cut through Stoney soil and anything that appears in its way. You can switch from forward to reverse mode quickly for more flexibility in your grassland.
It comes with a gear-operated transmission housed in a compact and durable casing. It is powered by a 212cc engine that offers enough power to tear through the most solid soil.
- It comes with a 212cc engine that is capable of breaking down the toughest soil.
- The machine is designed with dependable and four strong 13.8-inch hardened Steel tines.
- For great performances, it comes with a 19-inch tilling width and 8-inch tilling depth.
- These versatile tools have 13-inch self-propelled agricultural tires for efficient tilling.
- It can easily dig dipper through solid ground.
- Cast with heavy iron for durability.
- It requires some effort to move forward.
This tiller has many features that can be found on relatively more expensive units. The wet transmission gearbox is strongly built. You can use it easily as it includes automatic controls and panel that’s straightforward enough for novices. This tiller gains power from 196 CC engine along with 9.6 FT/LB OHV motor. With such power, coupled with heavy-duty, durable Southland SRTT196E comes with effortless control.
These high-end tillers are designed with 18 inches width and 10-inch depth. This real incredible combination makes the tiller efficient at its maximum level. It is capable to break the toughest thick roots and stony soil with its 11-inch tine diameter.
With forward and reverse options, the performance results in a powerful towards activity and a smooth movement. You’ll love the digging depth of this machine provided by its counter-rotating tines constructed to dig deep into the surface. It will help you to get rid of stubborn weeds and allows efficient upturning of fragile soil.
In addition to these features, it comes with 13-inch heavy-duty, pneumatic tires. It increases stability even over rough and rocky landscapes. It also includes folding grip handles for easy hold. This EPA certified also includes manual recoil start for making the operation of the tiller easy.
- This tiller gets power from 196 CC engine with 9.6 FT/LB OHV motor.
- It comes with a compact size yet has an efficient gas-powered engine.
- The machine includes 13-inch heavy-duty, pneumatic tires.
- These EPA certified tools come with manual recoil start for making the system of the tiller convenient.
- Constructed with 18 inches width and 10-inch depth.
- It works fast and easy to operate.
- It can dig deeper to remove weeds by its 11 inches tine diameter.
- Counter-rotating tines improve control over the ground.
- Using manual recoil start can be challenged for some gardeners.
- The durability of the tools is not guaranteed as it is relatively new.
- What’s a Rear Tine Tiller?
Why it is called rear-tine tiller? That’s easy to see as the tines of rear-tine tillers are located behind the engine. Whereas, these tillers get their wheels at the front of the machine.
What Makes Rear Tine Tillers Superior?
The rear tine tiller will give you more control over the tilling depth. Front-tine tillers jump over the ground instead of digging into the soil and ideal for already unlocked soil. On the other hand, rear tine tiller is excellent for heavier duty and big yards.
Unique Rear Tine Tiller Features:
Tillers are available as front-tine, mid-tine or rear-tine types and there are some varieties among them. Some characteristics that rear tillers have but small front-tine tillers don’t have:
- The rear tiller comes with a bigger size and able to cover more areas in a single pass.
- Rear tiller is heavier than others.
- All of the rear tillers are constructed with wheels driven by powerful engines.
- Rear tiller is ideal for digging deeper into the ground.
- Most models of rear tine tillers have both forward and backward options that others don’t have.
- Rear tiller has more control over soil and easier to operate.
- How to Use a Rear Tine Tiller
To know how to use a rear tine tiller, you must know the technical process behind it. Know that, they come with 2 front wheels that are directly connected with the engine. The weight of the motor is carried by tines which are located behind the front tires. The handles help to operate and control the tiller. So, all you have to do is set up the tools perfectly and till the soil in straight lines.
Follow some simple tricks and tricks to make your user experience smoother.
Remove Clutter First
Remove all the large plants, stones, roots, rough materials, and other debris as much as you can. If you don’t perform this job properly, you’ll fail to get a smooth-riding while tilling. Tough metals can also damage your tools and roots can jam up your wheels or other parts of the tiller.
Set the Tilling Depth
To receive a perfect tilling for the ground, start with a shallow depth and adjust as required. It will keep the roots untouched with proper tilling.
- For scattering plants that come with dense with roots, use a shallow depth.
- When you want to perform tilling for a vegetable or flower gardens, keep the tilling depth into 4 to 6 inches.
- If you need to prepare new beds or tough soil set it up to 10 inches.
- To make a new yard, set the depth into 6 inches.
- For the existing old bed, set the depth of the tiller into 4-6 inches
- Garden that has heavy soil, make two shallow passes of lengthwise and crosswise.
- There are some models that are not designed with adjustable depth settings. Picking the tiller that has these amazing features will be a wise decision.
- Drive the tiller in a straight line by setting them to “drive” or “forward”
- If the bed has solid soils with tough plants, drive over them twice in a crosshatch pattern. Do one pass longways and another one across the ground.
- All tillers available in the market don’t get the same characteristics. So, before bringing them in your yard, it’s important to learn about them.
- Tiller Power
The power of the engine is undoubtedly one of the significant components as they are mainly created for rough ground. The power of tiller displays their energy in size more than horsepower. Tillers with 8HP are relatively known for their powerful performances. If you intend to till a new bed that has never been tilled before, your soil contains considerably more clay and heavy material. In these consequences, deciding a tiller with 200cc of engine size or more will be a smart pick. However, in the case of tilling an existing yard, 100 and 180 cc engine will be enough for you. As a gardener, you should know that the power of the engine appears as “250cc” that stands for cubic centimeters. The larger the number is, the more powerful the engine is.
Another way of measuring the power of a rear tine tiller is to notice the torque. It refers to the forces an object need in order to rotate. Higher torque means higher force that appears as lb/feet. With a 8Ib/ft to 10Ib/ft torque you can break compact and solid soil, which is ideal for rough ground since they require a lot of pressure behind the tines.
- Tilling Width
There is tiller with different width from 10 inches to 20 inches available in the market. If you intend to buy a tiller you have to select whether your yard needs wide or narrow tiller.
- Narrow tiller means few passes through the ground, whereas wide tiller results in better and enough space for digging. If you pick tiller with low width, you have to prepare similar to corded mowers, zero-turn mowers, and lawn tractors. They are also excellent for decorative, curved, or irregularly shaped gardens.
- Wider tiller is better for wide and open spaces. The benefits of a wide tiller are you can still quickly without making a lot of paths.
- Tine Depth
A depth of 4 to 6 inches is enough for almost any type of gardens. To determine how to adjust depth, you have to know how deep the tines can go. If you have an existing old ground that you are using for years, you won’t need more than 6 inches. If your yard is new and never been tilted before, you have to spend some extra few dollars to buy a tiller with 10-inch depth settings.
- Tiller Rotation Style
Tillers are available as forward and counter-rotation model. Some rear tine tillers have one and some have two rotation directions.
- Forward rotation contributes to break weeds and untie the top layer of ground. It prepares the soil to start a healthy planting.
- Counter rotation provides more control over the tools as it helps the wheel to rotate in the opposite direction.
The backward rotation is able to blend the soil entirely. It is more beneficial on very rough ground and great for new plots.
However, if you own more than one plot and needs a variety of application for your gardening, pick a model with both forward and counter-rotating tines.
- Tiller Tires
How you will keep your gardening task if the tires of the tiller break? It’s a matter of concern, right? Well, to avoid this unpleasant situation, it’s important to look for tires that are durable, thick and ideal for all types of terrain.
If you get a smaller tiller for your smooth area, 8 inches tire will work well for you. For working over a large and uneven soil, choose for tires that are 12 inches or larger for satisfactory performances.
Another important thing to consider for maneuverability of rear tine tiller is tread. A thick tread for all-terrain and agriculture will provide you benefits of easy operation over any muddy, stony or rough ground.
However, for a smooth and existing yard, lighter duty tires will be enough for performing your tilling task.
- Tiller Handles Make or Break Ease of Movement
An uncomfortable handle can give you a tough time with elbow fatigue. So, it’s important to look at the handle of the machine you select to buy. You will get two primary handle styles and each of them has its own pros and cons.
- Plow/bike-style handles: They are more like grips that bike used. This look gives a view of the bar running the width of the appliance. They allow users to work with one hand and plow style handles helps to stand at the side of the tiller.
- Pistol grip handles: These types of handles require two hands to perform tilling. It gives options to adjust the speed of the tiller as it required. You can also feel great control and strength over rough ground.
There are some appliances that are heavy but beneficial and the tiller is one of them. Most of the model of rear tine tiller weighs between 150 and 200 pounds. Know that a heavy tiller doesn’t bounce often into any rough or rocky plot. You can operate them easily in a line straightly.
Gardeners who have smooth plots and whose power or persistence are not main concern can save some money by picking a lighter machine. Remember that, it is a common thing that lighter machine doesn’t come with a strong or heavy-duty body. So, before choosing a machine for heavy tasks like tilling soil, think twice before selecting light tillers.
- Other Amazing Features
Without features above, there are some models that have other good-to-have features that will improve your tiling projects. For better and safe performance, grab tiller that has many additional functions. Obviously, you have to spend more for those models, but actually, they are worthy. Let’s look out some of those features:
Drag bars improve the balance of the tool by keeping the depth consistent. It is also able to manage speed and prevent the machine from jumping while digging the soil.
Counterweight distribute the weight among the machine and boosts equilibrium. So, the operating machine becomes easier and efficient.
Tines becomes dull by day passing as they turn. But if it is designed with self-sharpening features it will be able to remove a cumbersome duty from maintenance. So, no more removing them manually and waste your time.
Depth Regulator Lever or Selector
If your tiller includes these features, it will adjust your tilling depth automatically.
Tiller with safety shields in front, rear or side all around the tines increase safeguards. Therefore, you don’t have to worry about wayward pebbles getting in the improper direction.
Easy or Quick Start
This feature turns the tradition tiller to modern tools. You can turn it on in a single push without tiring your hand. Simply turn it, push or pull it and start your job without any extra hassle.
- Buying Tips
There are wide models of tine tiller with a variety of features from basic to surplus. But if you don’t know which one is good for you, you will end up buying the wrong appliances for your garden. So, before buying this tool that costs your enough hard-earned money, follow this list below. It will help you to pick the perfect one in budget according to mid-range machines, and top-of-the-line tine tillers.
Must-haves in Budget Picks:
- Select the one that has at least 8-inch or 20 cm tires for adequate control and grip.
- Pick the one with a 6-inch or 15 cm tine depth.
- A tilling width of 10 inches or more will be wise to buy for larger surfaces.
- AG tires give better control and grip over the machine.
- A mid-range tiller features are better.
- Tires of 10inches or larger enhance performances.
- Go for 14-16 inches (35-40 cm) of tilling width to work quickly in large plots.
- This high-end machine combined with depth adjustment will improve your project capacity.
- To get the most versatile tiller, go for 12 inches larger tires.
- To save time and get effortless tilling, self-sharpening tine is a great choice.
- If you invest in tiller with 18-20 inches width, it is worth the money.
- Check if the tiller has counterweights and drag bars transform for maximum control.
If you are living in an area with rough ground and tough soil, it is difficult to break them with shovels manually. This important appliance of the garden is excellent for both professionals and beginners. However, if you intend to buy these amazing tools you have to choose the perfect one to get great performance. So, know the best rear tine tillers available in the market and pick the one that matches your needs.